Monday, April 10, 2017

The Ohio Section News Update – April 10th Edition


Inside..

- NIMS / ICS
- DXCC Yearbook
- Getting this Newsletter
- New Survey Question
- A Very Bad Day
- New Rookie Roundup Rules
- My Final    

************

NIMS / ICS Training

The numbers just keep growing! WHY? Well, the answer is simple, our Ohio ARES folks realize that they need to be properly trained, and you don’t get that by just being a bystander or having an HT in your hand! It takes some effort on your end and our folks are showing very clearly that they will make that effort count! Just having these numbers grow every day proves that we are doing the right thing for the right reasons. We need these courses, and we need to continue our education. It doesn’t stop just because we got our Amateur Radio license.

Here’s the latest count we have on everyone.. Total amount of members in the database is 713. The total amount of members completing all 4 required NIMS courses 496. We’re getting very close to the 500 mark, let’s keep it going folks!!  The total Number of the Courses taken by everyone in the database is 4622,  Here’s the link so that you can find out if your name is on the list.. 

Now, for the folks in border counties of Ohio, you may be registered in our other surrounding Section ARES programs (Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana, Pennsylvania or Michigan) and that’s ok.. They may, or may not  require the 4 basic courses for ARES membership, BUT Ohio does! Please send me, and your EC, copies of your certificates, regardless of another Section’s requirements.

Also, for those outside of Ohio in the bordering states, if you have these 4 courses in, please feel free to send me copies of your 4 certificates and we’ll be very happy to get them entered into our database as well. Please make sure that you have your call sign either in the email or as part of the file name on the certificate.   

For those just starting out, we have a webpage with all the information about how to get started..  http://arrl-ohio.org/SEC/training.html. This page contains a lot of information about what is needed. Each course takes about an hour or so to take, that’s really not much to ask now is it? You spent way more than that to get your Amateur Radio operators license!

************

 
2016 ARRL DXCC Yearbook Now Available
(from the ARRL Bulletins)

The 2016 ARRL DXCC Yearbook is now available for viewing and downloading here. The DXCC Yearbook includes the 2016 Annual List, as well as the 2016 Clinton B. DeSoto Challenge top scorers.


************

Are you getting those emails from me? If not, all you have to do is to “Opt-In” to receive them.

Heck, just send me an email:  n8sy@n8sy.com and let me know that you want to be added. It’s really just that easy. Please, if you know of anyone that would be interested in this information, feel free to pass it on to them. You don’t have to be an ARRL member or even a ham to receive these emails.

You are always free to “Opt-Out”  at any time if you feel this is not what you were expecting. Just send me an email with the email address that you used to opt-in on, and you will be removed. It’s that simple.

Also.. are you viewing the Ohio Section Website on a regular basis? You should, it changes all the time. Here’s a link to it.  http://arrlohio.org

************
 

Survey Question

Hey Gang,

Have you checked out the Newest Survey question on the website?. There is another brand new question up there! You’ll find it on the left side of the main page..  http://arrlohio.org  Don’t forget, once you’ve voted to go back and take a look at how your answer stacks up with everyone elses..!!



************

A Very Bad Day

This man was in an accident (work accident, not car accident), so he filled out an insurance claim. The insurance company contacted him and asked for more information. This was his response:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information for block number 3 of the accident reporting form. I put 'poor planning' as the cause of my accident. You said in your letter that I should explain more fully and I trust the following detail will be sufficient.

I am an amateur radio operator and on the day of the accident, I was working alone on the top section of my new 80-foot tower. When I had completed my work, I discovered that I had, over the course of several trips up the tower, brought up about 300 pounds of tools and spare hardware. Rather than carry the now unneeded tools and material down by hand, I decided to lower the items down in a small barrel by using a pulley, which was fortunately attached to the gin pole at the top of the tower. Securing the rope at ground level, I went to the top of the tower and loaded the tools and material into the barrel. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the 300 pounds of tools.

You will note in block number 11 of the accident reporting form that I weigh only 155 pounds. Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope.

Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate of speed up the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40-foot level, I met the barrel coming down. This explains my fractured skull and broken collarbone. Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold onto the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of tools hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the tools, the barrel now weighed approximately 20 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in block number 11. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40-foot level, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, and the lacerations of my legs and lower body.

The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell onto the pile of tools and, fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked. I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the tools, in pain, unable to stand and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above me, I again lost my presence of mind. I let go of the rope...

************

New Rookie Roundup Rules Go into Effect for SSB Event on April 17
(from ARRL Bulletins)


You might be a rookie and not even know it! The definition of a rookie has been changed for the Rookie Roundup, making it possible for more radio amateurs to qualify for the “Rookie” category.  Here’s the URL:

Rookie Roundup is a 6-hour operating event aimed at radio amateurs licensed for 3 years or less. Operators first licensed in 2015, 2016, or 2017 already qualify as Rookies.

Starting with the April 17 SSB event, however, operators licensed before 2015 may enter as Rookies, if they made their first Amateur Radio contact during 2015, 2016 or 2017 — or if they have never before made a contact using the mode of the upcoming Rookie Roundup (i.e., SSB for April, RTTY for August, and CW for December). These operators should send 2017 in their exchange, and those qualifying for either of these reasons will be considered Rookies only for 1 year.

Rookie Roundup is the third Sunday in April (SSB), August (RTTY), and December (CW). Stations send the year they were first licensed as part of the exchange. Rookies attempt to make as many contacts as possible and may work any station. Non-Rookies may only work Rookies.

************

My Final..    

April is National Amateur Radio Month. It’s also National Frog Month, and finally it’s IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) Month. So, let’s keep it regular folks!!

Amateur Radio has its serious side, but it can also have a FUN side too.. So, as we go through our training and exercises learning from our past and learning from those who are willing to take the time to teach us, let’s remember to have FUN too.. It’s what keeps us alive and vibrant..!!


73,

Scott, N8SY..

eof..